Dundee & Angus Chamber of Commerce has signed the UK Armed Forces Covenant.
In doing so it has made a commitment to support the country’s servicemen and women wherever and however it can and to ensure no member of the Armed Forces should suffer any disadvantage as a result of their service.
The 19 February signing – by Chief Executive Officer Alison Henderson – took place at HRFCA’s Dundee HQ. The document was co-signed on behalf of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) by Lt Col Al Jarvis, the Commanding Officer of Tayforth Universities Officers Training Corps.
Alison said: “We are proud to have underlined our ongoing support & commitment to the Armed Forces by the signing of the Covenant. Our role within Dundee & Angus allows us to be a key influencer in promoting the benefits of businesses being armed forces friendly. Serving personnel, reservists and veterans bring great value to businesses, and by actively participating in activities with HFRCA and the local regiment, we help the wider business community understand the importance of getting involved too.”
The Chamber’s commitments to honouring the Covenant include pledges to:
- Promote the fact it is an Armed Forces-friendly organisation.
- Seek to support the employment of veterans young and old.
- Strive to support the employment of Service spouses and partners.
- Endeavour to offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment.
- Seek to support employees who choose to be members of the Reserve Forces, including by accommodating their training and deployment where possible.
- Offer support to local cadet units.
- Aim to actively participate in Armed Forces Day.
- Actively support the signing of the Armed Forces Covenant amongst the Dundee and Angus business community.
The Covenant signing was organised by HRFCA and attended – along with the signatories – by Regional Employer Engagement Director Michelle McKearnon.
Michelle said: “We are delighted that Dundee and Angus Chamber of Commerce have pledged their support to the Armed Forces family and we very much value their commitment.
“Chambers of Commerce play a vital role in bringing Defence and employers together and we are looking forward to working in partnership with them.”
For more information on the Covenant contact Michelle on 01382 631026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.