The UK’s largest catering and support services company, Compass Group UK & Ireland, has become the 1000th UK employer to sign the Armed Forces Covenant.
The event marked a significant milestone in Defence’s efforts to build relationships with companies in a bid to increase business support for the Armed Forces community.
The Covenant aims to ensure fairness and equal opportunity for Service and ex-Service personnel, Reservists and their families when accessing goods and Services. The 1000th signing shows that the Covenant is helping to build an extensive network of support across a wide range of industry sectors.
Compass Group’s signing took place today at a ceremony on board HMS Belfast attended by Defence Secretary Michael Fallon, Managing Director of Compass Group UK & Ireland Dennis Hogan and senior Defence and Compass Group representatives.
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said: “Companies such as Compass Group UK & Ireland are helping to ensure those who serve or have served our country, get the treatment and recognition they deserve. Their support is hugely valued.
“In turn, these companies benefit from the skills, experience, professionalism and dedication that that these men and women bring to their organisation.”
Since 2013 the Covenant has helped to deliver these key improvements for the Armed Forces community:
- Fairer mobile phone contracts, freezing the accounts of Armed Forces personnel and their families posted overseas and removing cancellation fees
- Better deals in motor insurance, allowing personnel to keep their no claims bonuses and avoid cancellation fees when posted overseas at short notice
- Employer networks in a wide range of sectors to support Service leavers through their transition to new careers
- Better access to banking, such as savings accounts to Service families posted overseas
- Tackling commercial disadvantage previously experienced by the Armed Forces community in relation to credit rating and access to mortgages on offer. For example, if their Service overseas forces them into a situation where they will need to rent out their home, members are now free from the need to switch to a ‘buy to let’ mortgage.
- Better access to mentoring, work placements and employment opportunities for personnel leaving the Services
- Increased funding and sponsorship of military charities and sports events such as the Invictus Games
- Flexible paid or unpaid leave for mobilised Reservists
- Employment support for Veterans, Reservists, Service spouses and partners, as well as support for Cadets
- Discounts and special deals for individuals and their families
The Armed Forces Covenant delivery partners include businesses and trade bodies, charities and community organisations, local authorities and government departments. Signatories make their own promises to support the Armed Forces community and implement these promises through policies, Services and projects.
For more information on the Armed Forces Covenant click HERE.