The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) was presented with the Armed Forces Covenant and Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Bronze Award on 12 September.
Highland RFCA’s Regional Employer Engagement Director Roy McLellan presented both certificates at the organisation’s Oban HQ. Pictured, from left, are Hazel Farnell (Head of HR), Mike Spain (Head of Enterprise), Roy McLellan, and Cameron Harris (Facilities Manager).
SAMS has been delivering independent marine science since 1884. Based in Oban, 150 staff are working for healthy and sustainably managed seas and oceans through world-class marine research, education and engagement with society.
SAMS first signed the Covenant in April 2023. By signing the Covenant, it has become one of the 10,000+ organisations to pledge support to the Armed Forces community.
Its commitment to honouring the Covenant includes pledges to:
- Offer support for students who have served or currently serve or whose families serve in the Armed Forces.
- Promote training and further/higher education opportunities for Service leavers, ex-Service personnel and their families.
- Support the employment of Veterans and Service leavers.
- Support the employment of Service spouses and partners.
- Support employees who are members of the Reserve Forces; granting additional unpaid leave where possible.
- Support employees who are volunteer leaders in military cadet organisations; granting additional unpaid leave where possible.
- Engage with visiting Armed Forces units.
- Promote the fact it is an Armed Forces-friendly organisation.
SAMS also received the ERS Bronze Award. The ERS Awards encourage employers to support Defence and inspire others to do the same. The prestigious Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards are for employer organisations that pledge, demonstrate or advocate support to Defence and the Armed Forces community, and align their values with the Armed Forces Covenant.